The Five-Point Programmatic Thrust. The major programs of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (“DST”) are based upon the organization’s Five-Point Programmatic Thrust. To support the Programmatic Thrust, the Chicago Alumnae Chapter proudly sponsors programs that encourage the development development of young girls and boys. Such programs include: Delta Academy, Delta GEMS, EMBODI (known as our youth initiatives). The youth initiatives are made possible through the generous efforts of volunteers who give selflessly of their time and many talents.
DST has established a comprehensive risk management framework to ensure the safety of the organization, the volunteers, and the youth participants. This framework consists of the following definitions and requirements:
- Who is a Volunteer? A volunteer is any person who participates in DST’s youth initiatives. This includes DST members, non-DST members, and parents who participate in youth initiatives on an ongoing basis. A volunteer must be 18 years old or older and must successfully complete the volunteer screening process.
- What is the Volunteer Screening Process? The volunteer screening process consists of the Youth Initiative Volunteer Application, the Background Screening Process, and annual Risk Management Training.
- The Youth Initiative Volunteer Application includes an overview of the candidate screening procedure, a questionnaire, requests for references and an information release and consent form. To request an application, please contact the Risk Management Coordinators at: email@example.com.
- Background Screening. All individuals who assist with DST’s youth initiatives must complete a screening process, including background screening, to ensure as much as possible that volunteers can be trusted to work youths. As part of the screening process, volunteer candidates must undergo a criminal Background Screening, which is conducted by a company selected by DST’s national headquarters. In addition, Parents/Guardians who consistently volunteer with a youth initiative must also complete the background screening. The background screening results are valid for three (3) years. The Background Screening process application and fees are found by clicking on this link.
- Volunteer Training, Training helps ensure that volunteers are knowledgeable about DST’s risk management policies and procedures. Youth initiative volunteers are required to participate in risk management training every year if they volunteer with the youth programs. Additionally, Parents/Guardians who consistently volunteer with a youth initiative must also participate in annual training. A schedule of Volunteer Training sessions is available at this link.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with the youth initiatives sponsored by the Chicago Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
If you have any questions, please contact the Risk Management Coordinators at: firstname.lastname@example.org.